Re: pgsql from ASP

From: wes <pdxpug(at)the-wes(dot)com>
To: "PDX PostgreSQL Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql from ASP
Date: 2008-07-22 22:11:33
Lists: pdxpug

On 7/22/08, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:27 -0700, wes wrote:
> > I have some apps written in ASP and .NET that use nPgSQL to connect to
> > my Postgres DBs. I often get errors that I can't really track to a
> > specific source, which I usually end up resolving by restarting IIS.
> >
> > I am wondering, is npgsql the only game in town as far as Windows is
> > concerned? Are there any other (possibly better?) drivers I could be
> > using?
>
> I think you should probably define your problem before you blame the
> driver. I mean, you just said, "I usually end up resolving by restarting
> IIS." Sounds like IIS is your more likely culprit.
>
> Not saying npgsql doesn't have problems, it may but...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I don't want to blame the driver, but if I can eliminate it as a suspect, it
will help me to better define the problem.

I get a lot of this:

Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01FB)
An exception occurred: 'execute'
answerPhrase.asp, line 25

line 25 is: Set skills = contactDC.execute(sqltext)

So, it's something to do with the DB connection that's throwing the error.

Without a clearer error, I cannot begin to define the problem more clearly.
Google tells me that error is common on IIS, and there is not much advice
available in terms of fixing it. I have already tried many things suggested
to troubleshoot IIS, so at this point, I'm starting to look elsewhere to see
if I strike gold by chance.

-wes