Re: Postgres backups - when the backup operator isn't the postgres user ?

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Lidgate (Sun Edgemail)" <Chris(dot)Lidgate(at)sun(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres backups - when the backup operator isn't the postgres user ?
Date: 2008-08-21 06:22:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 21/08/2008, Chris Lidgate (Sun Edgemail) <Chris(dot)Lidgate(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:
>  Now we would like our application to provide automatic backups of the db
> and distribute copies to remote systems, but this is where things go wrong.
> We're using PITA backups where we need to tar up parts of the $PGDATA tree,
> and our application user A does not have permissions to access the postgres
> files that we need to make our backups.
I'm not a back-up expert by any stretch, but wouldn't it make more
sense to use pg_dump as the user and then ship that of? Or use
wal-shipping to begin with, instead of taking the file-system approach
for which you'd most likely need to stop the DB anyway?

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.