Re: dump restore help

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Brian P Ford Sr" <fordbp(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dump restore help
Date: 2007-07-13 21:50:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 7/14/07, Brian P Ford Sr <fordbp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 7/12/07, Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Assuming that you're not concerned about the authentication
> > but rather about whether or not you'll be able to get to the data:
> > That will be taken care of with the entry for the admin user in
> > pg_hba.conf ... if you set the line for local access for the postgres
> > user to trust you should have no problem accessing any of the
> > data within the database (unless of course the application took
> > care of encrypting information - in which case it all depends on
> > the quality of the algorithm in use and the weakness/strength of
> > the passwords (or other authentication mechanisms used); but
> > I guess now I'm preaching to the teacher ;})
> >
> > Something like
> > local all postgres trust
> > as the first line of pg_hba.conf should take care of your needs.

> Thanks for the reply. Is it a stretch to consider importing the dump file
> into Mysql or MSSql as a txt file?
Sorry, no idea. I avoid MySQL.

> Also what extension, if any, do the Postgresql tales have?
None.

> What direrectory would I find the tables in?
That depends on the distribution you're using to run postgres.
Under debian (and it's derivatives) it's something like
/var/lib/postgresql/<version-number>/main/base

And please don't top post.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.