Re: Installation of postgresql database as root

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ali, Luqman" <luqman(dot)ali(at)sanmina-sci(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation of postgresql database as root
Date: 2007-06-06 04:03:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 6/6/07, Ali, Luqman <luqman(dot)ali(at)sanmina-sci(dot)com> wrote:

> >I guess the question is whether that user has write access
> >to the target file-system(s) ...
> Absolutely, the user (i.e. me) will have write access to the target
> file-systems. Another question is does postgres user get automatically
> created with the installation of progress or will the sysadmin have to
> create that?
                                Short Version

gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres

So, I guess that means it doesn't get created.  Why are you
averse to installing as root, btw?  I think it makes perfect sense
to have the postgres user only own the data directory.  That way,
if you configure the config files to live in /etc and they aren't owned
by postgres (the user account) a potential attacker can't make changes
to permissible connections, for instance.

--  Cheers,

Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.