Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Roger Rasmussen" <pgsqln00b(at)australiamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software
Date: 2006-08-16 08:58:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 8/16/06, Roger Rasmussen <pgsqln00b(at)australiamail(dot)com> wrote:

> > You could go with all other languages that can talk ODBC. JAVA,
> > .net, C++, Python and what ever you like.
> 1. Can they be used to build non-browser type applications?
Yes for all of the above.

> 2. How fast is it to code up forms with them compared to
> access, for example?
Depends. There's glade, for instance, as a GUI builder. Or you
could use Qt (which has Postgres support) and it's tool designer
for the front-end.

> 3. How easy is it to remember what does what when it is time to
> maintain what you have created?
Depends on your memory ;)
No, serious, it just is a matter of how well you name your stuff,
and how good you document it.

> EXACTLY. With Access once started, creating a simple form usually
> took less than an hour. A complex form might take a day or two, but
> usually there is only a small few of these.
If Access is your thing you may want to look into rekall ... it's originally
designed under Linux (KDE), but I've seen notes of it being ported to
Windows as well. It interfaces to MySQL, Postgres and xbase databases.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.