Re: Math Operations - DB or App?

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Math Operations - DB or App?
Date: 2006-05-09 21:37:52
Lists: pgsql-novice
On 5/10/06, Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov> wrote:

> The biggest plus is that most of the data never leaves the server, so
> client-side overhead, memory issues with the client, and network bandwidth
> are much less of a problem than it you transfer the who table to the client,
> for example, to do a couple of simple sums.  There are other advantages,
> like being able to adjust the schema or the functions on the database side
> and have these changes propagate automatically through to various apps.
With which operations/what number of calculations does
the CPU load on the server become a problem, though (compared
to the network-traffic caused by having it on the client-side)?  I can
think of a few applications/implementations that I wouldn't want to
be running on the server - where to draw the line?

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.