Apache child processes making multiple persistent database connections via Apache::DBI

From: "Ben Borger" <spd(at)platinumsystems(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Apache child processes making multiple persistent database connections via Apache::DBI
Date: 2003-02-01 00:47:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

Is it normal for Apache child threads to be opening more than one persistent
database connection to Postgres? DBI 1.19, Apache::DBI 0.88

In Apache's configuration I have the maximum threads limited to 12, and
Postgres is set to allow a maximum of 32 connections. No other apps or
users. Periodically I receive an error that there are too many connections
to the database already and the connect attempt is refused. Does this infer
a programming problem or Apache/Postgresql configuration problem, or is it
normal, in which case what is the recommended ratio of threads to database
connections?

Thanks!