Re: Populating a sparse array piecemeal in plpgsql (REDUX)

From: "Webb Sprague" <webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Populating a sparse array piecemeal in plpgsql (REDUX)
Date: 2008-05-27 04:11:20
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying to return a 2-d array with filled in values, but I can't
find a way to initialize the array programmatically (ie, in a
function, with the array size being determined by parameter values.

here is one approach

> Well, the point is that you need to initialize the array as a whole to
> have the dimensions you want; PG won't guess about this. For instance
> you could do something like
>
> declare a integer[];
> begin
> a := '{{null,null,null},{null,null,null},{null,null,null}}';

I would like the following to get a 3 x 3 array:

declare a integer[][]
begin
a := array_init(3, 3, 0) -- this function doesn't exist, ??

Any ideas? I guess I can do a series of appends or make some text
thing, but that seems awkward...

Tx