Re: 2 feature requests: data display

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 feature requests: data display
Date: 2010-03-08 23:01:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mon, March 8, 2010 23:48, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le 08/03/2010 23:33, Erik Rijkers a écrit :
>>
>> I have 2 feature requests on data display:
>>
>> 1. Make the row height sticky: this is handy when looking at multiline values.
>>

> I don't quite understand what you mean by this? could you explain a bit
> more?

It is comparable to the 'stickiness' of the data grid's column-widths.

If you do (in a 'Query tool' window):

select *
from (
values
(
'multiline record'
|| chr(10) || 'that'
|| chr(10) || 'consists'
|| chr(10) || 'of more than 1 line'
)
)
as t(x)
;

followed by F5, if will show the data in a grid with that record's data with the height of a
single line. Initially this is OK, but when you enlarge it with the mouse, and press again F5, the
enlarged height of the (grid-)row is reset to 1. This should, I think, ideally be 'sticky': it
should retain the enlarged height of the grid's row, at least when the query's select-list is the
same (or similar?) to the last-ran query (make it comparable to the grid's column width
behaviour).

>> 2. Always widen the column width for any EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] output to (nearly) window
>> width. Or anyway to more than the narrow default width it has now, which guarantees
>> unreadiblilty.
>>

> Quite easy to do, AFAICT.

Great, I hoped that would be the case...

Thank you,

Erik Rijkers