Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce

From: louisducnguyen(at)hotmail(dot)com (louis nguyen)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is the impact of Database size on Performemce
Date: 2004-03-30 23:56:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

> 1. Is there any impact?
> 2. Does one very large table impact the performence of the the whole DB,
> meaning the overall performence and access the other tables.
> 3. What are the ways to reduce the impact of the DB size on the DB
> performence

I've run into 2 problems w/ very large DB.
A) Backups. I have a 50G DB. I backup to file then delete
yesterday's backup file (I have another process which transfers the
backup file to tape). So I have a 50G backup file and I need another
50G freespace, to run my backup process.

B) Reindexing. On any given day maybe 5% (max) of new data is added
to my DB. But DBCC reindex has to work on all the indexes. So DBCC
reindex takes 3 hours a night. Yuck.

Maybe there is a better way. But I try to keep each database as small
as possible.