Best option for expanding beyond 1 pg server in this situation

From: "Jamie Tufnell" <diesql(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best option for expanding beyond 1 pg server in this situation
Date: 2008-11-26 03:48:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

We have been wanting to HA our pgsql server for some time now.  We're
actually reaching the limits of our current server now, so there is a
pressing need to do something to ease the load too.

There are several individual solutions to both of these problems.  I
was hoping I could get some advice from someone more experienced
though, about what the simplest most effective way of moving forward
would be?  Hopefully I can squash both HA and LB with the same
solution.

So far I've narrowed it down to

Slony-I master/slave replication with failover

or

pgpool-II with heartbeat for failover.  The pgpool-II configuration
matrix (http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/) isn't terribly clear
(there's no legend) but it leads me to believe failover and load
balancing are mutually exclusive options.  Is that so?

About our environment: PostgreSQL 8.3.  Over 90% reads.  Low data
turnover on all tables involved in most of those reads.  High data
turnover on a select few tables.  Overall database size is quite small
(1GB).

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Jamie

pgsql-admin by date

Previous:From: Csaba EgyüdDate: 2008-11-25 17:37:12
Subject: Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)