Best option for expanding beyond 1 pg server in this situation

From: "Jamie Tufnell" <diesql(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best option for expanding beyond 1 pg server in this situation
Date: 2008-11-26 03:48:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

We have been wanting to HA our pgsql server for some time now. We're
actually reaching the limits of our current server now, so there is a
pressing need to do something to ease the load too.

There are several individual solutions to both of these problems. I
was hoping I could get some advice from someone more experienced
though, about what the simplest most effective way of moving forward
would be? Hopefully I can squash both HA and LB with the same
solution.

So far I've narrowed it down to

Slony-I master/slave replication with failover

or

pgpool-II with heartbeat for failover. The pgpool-II configuration
matrix (http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/) isn't terribly clear
(there's no legend) but it leads me to believe failover and load
balancing are mutually exclusive options. Is that so?

About our environment: PostgreSQL 8.3. Over 90% reads. Low data
turnover on all tables involved in most of those reads. High data
turnover on a select few tables. Overall database size is quite small
(1GB).

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Jamie