Re: This query is still running after 10 hours...

From: Kevin Barnard <kevin(dot)barnard(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Creager <robert_creager(at)logicalchaos(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: This query is still running after 10 hours...
Date: 2004-09-29 02:41:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:21:40 -0600, Robert Creager
<robert_creager(at)logicalchaos(dot)org> wrote:

> The trigger keeps another table (catalog) up to date with the information from the obs_v and obs_i tables. There are no direct insert/update/delete's on the catalog table, only though the trigger.

It's possible that the update to catalog is what is really taking a
long time. You might wish to try and explain that query just to make
sure. You might also wish to disable to trigger just to rule it out.
Does catalog have any triggers on it? Does it have any foreign keys?

I've shot myself in the foot on this before which is the only reason I
ask about it.