Re: How to Implement Versioned Rows in PostgreSQL?

From: Alan Gutierrez <ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to Implement Versioned Rows in PostgreSQL?
Date: 2003-01-06 17:57:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Alan Gutierrez <ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net> writes:
>
>>* Where can I read about alternative implemenations for history/versioning?
>

> Have you looked at contrib/spi/timetravel.* ?
>
> regards, tom lane

Thank you.

The timetravel.* uses dates on each table. The nice thing about the transaction
table scheme I've concocted, I think, is that I get a nice round sequential
number. Dates seem so fiddly. I also get to see what changed during a
transaction. I can also store who changed it with the transaction record.

From looking at timetravel.*, at least I know I am not too ambitious. It seems
acceptable to have a view on the tables filtering out records. I've not had
experience with *large* databases yet. My big concern is that this versioning is
not going to scale. That the extra query for each row will be a real dog.

But, hey, the application needs versioning, gotta pay to play, right?

Maybe I can hack timetravel.* to do my bidding?

If anyone wants to caution (or reassure) this newbie, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Alan Gutierrez