Re: slow dropping of tables, DropRelFileNodeBuffers, tas

From: Sergey Koposov <koposov(at)ast(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow dropping of tables, DropRelFileNodeBuffers, tas
Date: 2012-05-31 18:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Simon Riggs wrote:

> That struck me as a safe and easy optimisation. This was a problem I'd
> been trying to optimise for 9.2, so I've written a patch that appears
> simple and clean enough to be applied directly.

Thanks! The patch indeed improved the timings,
The dropping of 100 tables in a single commit before the patch took ~ 50
seconds, now it takes ~ 5 sec (it would be nice to reduce it further
though, because the dropping of 10000 tables still takes ~10 min).

Cheers,

Sergey E. Koposov, PhD, Research Associate
Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge
Madingley road, CB3 0HA, Cambridge, UK
Tel: +44-1223-337-551 Web: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~koposov/