Re: installation of postgres 8.3 on CentOs 5.1

From: Josh <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
To: Nicholas Hemley <nic(dot)hemley(at)sidonis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installation of postgres 8.3 on CentOs 5.1
Date: 2008-02-15 14:58:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Nic,

Is this a test server? If so, try this. Find the correct name of
postgres-libs (rpm -qa | grep postgres-libs), and do this:

rpm -e postgres-libs --nodeps

Then, first install a package like so:

rpm -i compat-postgresql-libs-4-1PGDG.rhel5

(Note that this isn't the correct filename - I don't have the correct
filename offhand as this particular box still has 8.2.4 installed.) The
point is, you can force deletion of the CentOS-supplied packages and
install the compat-libs and libs provided by PGSQL first, then go on with
the server or whatever other packages you need.

I've been doing this for a long time starting with C4.5 as the
PGDG-provided packages are newer than the OS-provided packages.

Let me know if that works, or doesn't. As always, be sure to conduct
extensive testing with your application to ensure that this doesn't break
things, before doing this in a production capacity. In my experience it
hasn't broken things.

Cheers,
-J