Re: Problems With New Installation

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems With New Installation
Date: 2009-01-25 14:36:36
Lists: pdxpug
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> 1. Do you have to do an "initdb"?

Ed,

   Yes, I ran 'initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data'

> On openSUSE, the PostgreSQL files default to "/var/lib/pgsql" and belong
> to "postgres:postgres". In there, I see a "backups" directory and a
> "data" directory, and the configuration files are in the "data"
> directory. On my system, there's an "initlog" which has all the messages
> from when "initdb" was run.

   It is all set up as it should be. However, it will not properly start
(creating the socket and .pid as well as telling me the daemon is already
running), while it does shut down something.

> 2. If "initdb" has been done, is there an "/etc/init.d/postgresql" file?
> What happens if you do "/etc/init.d/postgresql restart"?

   Yes, there is a script. In Slackware they're all in /etc/rc.d, and the
rc.postgresql script is installed automatically. It is executable and run
frrom within /etc/rc.d/rc.local durint the boot process.

   All this works well -- and has for 10 or so years -- on my desktop
systems. That's why I'm asking for help in figuring out why it isn't
behaving the same way on the notebook.

> 3. If that doesn't work, try a "man pg_ctl".

   pg_ctl is what the rc.postgresql script calls to start, stop, and restart
the process.

Rich