Problems With New Installation

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems With New Installation
Date: 2009-01-25 01:02:41
Lists: pdxpug
   I installed 8.3.5 on my notebook so that I can run a business application.
I used the Slackware package approach and everything seems to be in place,
but there is no /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 or associated lock file.

   Starting the server produces a message that the PostgreSQL daemon is
already running. Stopping the server produces the message that there's no
directory so it's logging in with HOME=/, and there's an invalid
postmaster.pid.

   Restarting postgres does not create the /tmp socket and lock. The user
'postgres' exists and has the home directory of /home/postgres. My Google
searches and reading through the Douglas^2 book gives me no clues.

   What do I do to properly start/stop the postmaster?

Rich

pdxpug by date

Next:From: Ronald ChmaraDate: 2009-01-25 02:46:27