Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)globalherald(dot)net>
To: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 16:34:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> I am failing to see the issue here. There is a need for an installer, it was not

+1 what Adrian said.  At first I thought that there was a minor problem (I
actually preferred the PGDG installer vs. the EDB one) but it seems we've
beaten this dead horse for far too long.

The installer, as it is, is not a problem.  Having EDB host the downloads
of the community PG installer gives the installer a "funny code smell".
Community installers ought to be hosted from the mirror network, and IMHO
EDB ought to have recognized this before investing in an Akamai mirror.

Truth be told, if I had to distribute PG to external clients, given htat
there is no community installer I'd probably modify the installer I wrote
for xTuple (for versions prior to current) to just include PG.  I just
don't have time to test every Windows OS under the Sun if I did so.

BTW if anyone wants a no-frills, bare-bones, untested PG installer let me
know and I'll turn over the scripts to create a NSI install out of a PG
directory tree.  Should take 1-3 hours + testing time to create a PG
install from scratch.

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01