Re: Problems with postgres online backup - restore

From: Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with postgres online backup - restore
Date: 2009-06-25 18:39:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'd like to understand the PostgreSQL internals in "backup mode".

When I understood it correctly pg_start_backup() make a checkpoint and
stops writing to the data/ directory except the WAL.

All new transaction go into WAL which is also logical. But how is data
consistency done when the written/changed blocks don't fit into the buffer
cache?

E.g.
A lot of updates which exceed buffer cache (Where is data written except
WAL since data should be kept constant?)
SELECT FROM updated data: WHERE is the new data fetched from?

Thnx for any explainations.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--