Re: scheduler

From: david(at)lang(dot)hm
To: Adrian Moisey <adrian(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: Claus Guttesen <kometen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: scheduler
Date: 2008-01-22 08:37:21
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Adrian Moisey wrote:

> Hi
>
>>> Which scheduler is recommended for a box that is dedicated to running
>>> postgres?
>>>
>>> I've asked google and found no answers.
>>
>> Is it the OS itself?
>
> Yes, in linux.  I've found that cfq or deadline is best, but I haven't seen
> anyone try a benchmark

it also depends on your hardware. if you have a good battery-backed cache
on your I/O system you may be best off with 'none' (or simple elevator, I
don't remember the exact name)

the more complexity in your I/O that the kernek oesn't know about, the
less likely it is to make the right decision.

David Lang