Re: alpha2 initdb PG_CONTROL_VERSION incompatibility?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-testers <pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alpha2 initdb PG_CONTROL_VERSION incompatibility?
Date: 2009-11-03 23:34:04
Lists: pgsql-testers
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Lou Picciano wrote:

> The start command we're testing with, for example (the only variable is
> datapath: data-NEW vs. data-OLD):
> # /usr/local/postgres/8.5-alpha2/bin/pg_ctl -D
> /var/postgres/8.5-alpha2/data-NEW -l /var/postgres/8.5-alpha2/TEMPLOG start
> (above works great, with an alpha2-init'd data cluster)

OK, the original message you sent suggested this didn't work either which
was the confusing part.  The fact that you have to do a fresh initdb to go
from anything earlier to alpha2 is expected.  The fact that you could go
from 8.4 to 8.5-alpha just reflects that nobody made any internal changes
to the database layout between those versions.  That it worked was a lucky
oddity, what you're seeing now is the more common situation.

In general, you have to do a fresh initdb for each testing release to make
a database cluster that the new code will talk to.  That this changes each
sub-release is one reason these are strictly useful as test releases.

pgsql-testers by date

Next:From: Lou PiccianoDate: 2009-11-04 02:49:50