Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-28 17:28:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Greg Stark wrote:

> It's also a blatant violation of packaging rules for Debian if not
> every distribution. If you edit the user's configuration file then
> there's no way to install a modified default configuration file. You
> can't tell the automatic modifications apart from the user's
> modifications. So the user will get a prompt asking if he wants the
> new config file or to keep his modifications which he never remembered
> making.

The postgresql.conf file being modified is generated by initdb, and it's
already being customized per install by the initdb-time rules like
detection for maximum supported shared_buffers. It isn't one of the files
installed by the package manager where the logic you're describing kicks
in.  The conflict case would show up, to use a RHEL example, if I edited a
/etc/sysconfig/postgresql file and then a changed version of that file
appeared upstream.  Stuff in PGDATA is all yours and not tracked as a
config file.