Re: Linux LSB init script

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux LSB init script
Date: 2009-08-31 19:21:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Is the LSB standard sufficiently widely adopted to omit the older
> format?

I'm not sure, and I'm similarly not sure just what the benefits of a LSB
compatible script are here given that several major distributions like
RHEL/Debian have their own thing they're doing and are unlikely to change.
Given that there was recent chatter on removing the Linux init scripts
altogether, I think that the first thing to do here is survey where the
current script and a LSB-based one might fit into current/future Linux
init script plans on the most popular platforms.  Your code is interesting
but I'm not sure what problem it's intended to solve yet.