Re: Can I have a look at your TuningWizard generated config file?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I have a look at your TuningWizard generated config file?
Date: 2009-08-01 01:16:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> What exactly is the concern? I'm for healthy paranoia, but I'd like to
> know what exactly you're paranoid about.

EDB has this program that runs as a web service. It runs a proprietary
tuning routine (what they call "DynaTune") and gives the results out to
people, which is a nice service they're providing. No problem with that
and I'm glad they help out by providing it.

But I don't want to see those results showing up here, for fear that
community efforts to provide a similar service would be comprimised by
seeing it. You'll see people here warning against discussing the design
of proprietary bits of O****e's implementation lest it similarly taint the
PostgreSQL design. I'm just pointing out that the output of EDB's Tuning
Wizard could be a similarly protected bit of intellectual property.

I already asked EDB last year whether they were intending to release the
DynaTune program and didn't get the impression that was forthcoming, and
it's unreasonable to ask them to, so I don't know what further questions
you might ask them.