Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Youatt <dave(at)meteorsolutions(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?
Date: 2009-07-29 06:04:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Well the real problem is that pgbench itself does not scale too well to lots
> of concurrent connections and/or to high transaction rates so it seriously
> skews the result.

Sure, but that's what the multi-threaded pgbench code aims to fix, which
didn't show up until after you ran your tests.  I got the 90K select TPS
with a completely unoptimized postgresql.conf, so that's by no means the
best it's possible to get out of the new pgbench code on this hardware.
I've seen as much as a 40% improvement over the standard pgbench code in
my limited testing so far, and the patch author has seen a 450% one.  You
might be able to see at least the same results you got from sysbench out
of it.