Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-28 19:12:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> Each released minor version tag must check out the same as from CVS, at
> least back to some specified point (perhaps 7.4.0). I'd really prefer
> to insist on that all the way back.

We'd all like to hope that conversion process that works for everything
back to 7.4.0 would would also give useful results for all the old ones,
too. And it's worth testing as far back as possible. I think it's just
unrealistic to set the bar too high in the off chance that one of these
old releases has something that's harder to fix than producing that
version is worth. That might be the case for some of the 7.1 stuff
mentioned upthread for example. If there are only a few stragglers that
won't play nice, it might be easier to just publish a "git errata" list of
those releases and move on.

In related news, I wanted to make it a bit easier to track followup on the
whole "Action Item" list from the meeting. I converted those to the
standard format we were already using on the ToDo list, which provides a
way to check off items that are done. It may be worth breaking those out
from the rest of the minutes, so that it's easier to extend them with
things like these fleshed out git requirements. Example:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2009_Developer_Meeting#Source_Code_Management

Thoughts?