Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?
Date: 2009-05-27 01:17:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> CMD doesn't rent hardware you would have to provide that, Rack Space
> does.

Part of the idea was to avoid buying a stack of servers, if this were just
a "where do I put the boxes at?" problem I'd have just asked you about it
already. I forgot to check Rack Space earlier, looks like they have Dell
servers with up to 8 drives and a RAID controller in them available.
Let's just hope it's not one of the completely useless PERC models there;
can anyone confirm Dell's PowerEdge R900 has one of the decent performing
PERC6 controllers I've heard rumors of in it?

Craig, I share your concerns about outsourced hosting, but as the only
custom application involved is one I build my own RPMs for I'm not really
concerned about the system getting screwed up software-wise. The idea
here is that I might rent an eval system to confirm performance is
reasonable, and if it is then I'd be clear to get a bigger stack of them.
Luckily there's a guy here who knows a bit about benchmarking for this
sort of thing...