Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs
Date: 2009-03-27 08:13:33
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I'm also wondering why do we have two pages, FAQ and
> Frequently_Asked_Questions. Shouldn't they be merged?

I started putting stuff on that other page while I waited for the official
FAQ to get migrated over. There are a fair number of wiki pages tagged in
the FAQ category as well. Some of those are too big to really merge
usefully into the FAQ, others might get dumped into the main document.

Several of the pages listed on there were aimed to replace or supplement
existing entries in the full FAQ from the start. As an example, "4.2 How
do I control connections from other hosts?" has considerably less
information than any newbie needs to resolve those problems, as anybody
hanging out on IRC is painfully aware. I wrote an initial draft of
something on the "Client Authentication" page on the Wiki to help pull
together pointers to all the relevant places in the documentation, into
something closer to a walkthrough, and the result is larger than FAQ-entry
length. That's going to stay a FAQ *page* instead, I think, one that gets
pointed to as a supplemental reference for the terse description given for
4.2 right now.

I can help sort through all this once I get past my next conference gig in
another week, all my spare time has been spent tormenting systems with
pgbench lately.