Re: Raid 10 chunksize

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: David Rees <drees76(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Raid 10 chunksize
Date: 2009-03-25 03:29:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, David Rees wrote:

> I would tend to recommend ext3 in data=writeback and make sure that
> it's mounted with noatime over using ext2 - for the sole reason that
> if the system shuts down unexpectedly, you don't have to worry about a
> long fsck when bringing it back up.

Well, Mark's system is already using noatime, and if you believe
http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2008/04/is_that_performance_i_smell_ext2_vs_ext3_on_50_spindles_testing_for_postgresql/
there's little difference between writeback and ordered on the WAL disk.
Might squeeze out some improvements with ext2 though, and if there's
nothing besides the WAL on there fsck isn't ever going to take very long
anyway--not much of a directory tree to traverse there.