Re: Resetting cluster-wide statistics

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resetting cluster-wide statistics
Date: 2009-03-24 04:18:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> We used to have the stats_reset_on_server_start thingy, which covered
> that case.  When we removed it on the grounds that you could do the
> same less klugily with pg_stat_reset(), nobody complained about
> cluster-wide stats...

Not exactly sure of the sequence here, but I think that was before
pg_stat_bgwriter was introduced.  That was late in the 8.3 cycle and one
of the primary things I'd like have a good way to reset.  I'll dig back to
the commit that wiped out stats_reset_on_server_stat and see what it used
to do.  I might suggest something that puts something similar back,
perhaps with a more targeted UI given that pg_stat_reset has taken over
its original primary function.