Re: Reports from SSD purgatory

From: david(at)lang(dot)hm
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: gnuoytr(at)rcn(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reports from SSD purgatory
Date: 2011-08-24 20:27:03
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 24 Srpen 2011, 21:42, gnuoytr(at)rcn(dot)com wrote:
>>

>> My point.  The firmware and MS have been faster to support TRIM than *nix,
>> linux in particular.  Those that won't/can't move to a recent kernel don't
>> get TRIM.
>
> Faster? Windows 7 was released on October 2009, Linux supports TRIM since
> February 2010. That's about 3 or 4 months difference - given that it may
> easily take a year to put a new OS / kernel into a production, it's
> negligible difference. For example most of the corporations / banks I'm
> working for are still using Windows XP.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I'm not blindly fighting against Windows, I just
> don't see how this makes the TRIM a windows-specific feature.

the thing is that many people using Linux are using RedHat Enterprise
Linux 5, which was released several years prior to that, and trim is not
one of the things that Red Hat has backported to their ancient kernel. so
for those people it doesn't exist prior to RHEL 6.0 which was released
much more recently.

David Lang