Re: Java proxies connection to postgres

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
Cc: Donald Fraser <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>, "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Java proxies connection to postgres
Date: 2010-08-09 12:17:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Samuel Gendler wrote:
> I imagine that just about any proxy made since 1995 supports arbitrary
> port numbers, but that really sin't sufficient.

Agreed, however the port numbers that the administrator allows to be
connected to will usually be severely restricted for security reasons.

Specifically, if you can use someone else's computer to connect to the
SMTP port on any computer in the world, you have got yourself an excellent
way of hiding where your spam is coming from. For that reason, a lot of
mail systems will refuse to receive mail from any system which is known as
an open proxy.

Matthew

--
An ant doesn't have a lot of processing power available to it. I'm not trying
to be speciesist - I wouldn't want to detract you from such a wonderful