Re: simultaneously reducing both memory usage and runtime for a query

From: Faheem Mitha <faheem(at)email(dot)unc(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simultaneously reducing both memory usage and runtime for a query
Date: 2010-03-28 20:05:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Tom Lane wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem(at)email(dot)unc(dot)edu> writes:
>> ... In any case, feedback would be helpful. Details of my attempts
>> at optimization are at
>> http://bulldog.duhs.duke.edu/~faheem/snppy/opt.pdf
>
> By and large, this is not the way to ask for help on the Postgres lists.
> If you're supplying extremely large test data or something, it's fair to
> provide a link instead of putting the information in-line, but otherwise
> you should try to make your email self-contained. Those of us who are
> willing to help are not here just to help you --- we'd like other people
> to learn from it too, both at the time and later from the archived
> discussion. So the information needs to be in the email thread, not
> only on some transient web page.

Dear Tom Lane,

Thank you for your message. I understand your point of view. However, the
three documents I cite in my previous message have significant graphical
content, eg. time-memory graphs. At least two of them are relevant, the
third tangentially so. Also, these two files (opt and diag) are 25 and 41
pages respectively in their pdf version. I don't think it would be very
easy to cram these two into an email.

So, in light of that, would it be permissible to attach these documents to
my email, since you want a self-contained email? If so, I hope I do not
fall afoul of spam filters. The two documents are 3.3M (opt.pdf) and 132K
(diag.pdf).

Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.