Re: pg_dump far too slow

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: David Newall <postgresql(at)davidnewall(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump far too slow
Date: 2010-03-18 12:15:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, David Newall wrote:
> nohup time pg_dump -f database.dmp -Z9 database
>
> I presumed pg_dump was CPU-bound because of gzip compression, but a test I
> ran makes that seem unlikely...

There was some discussion about this a few months ago at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-07/msg00348.php

It seems that getting pg_dump to do the compression is a fair amount
slower than piping the plain format dump straight through gzip. You get a
bit more parallelism that way too.

Matthew

--
I'm always interested when [cold callers] try to flog conservatories.
Anyone who can actually attach a conservatory to a fourth floor flat