RAID card recommendation

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RAID card recommendation
Date: 2009-11-24 17:23:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
We're about to purchase a new server to store some of our old databases,
and I was wondering if someone could advise me on a RAID card. We want to
make a 6-drive SATA RAID array out of 2TB drives, and it will be RAID 5 or
6 because there will be zero write traffic. The priority is stuffing as
much storage into a small 2U rack as possible, with performance less
important. We will be running Debian Linux.

People have mentioned Areca as making good RAID controllers. We're looking
at the "Areca ARC-1220 PCI-Express x8 SATA II" as a possibility. Does
anyone have an opinion on whether it is a turkey or a star?

Another possibility is a 3-ware card of some description.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

--
 Now you see why I said that the first seven minutes of this section will have
 you looking for the nearest brick wall to beat your head against. This is

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Richard NeillDate: 2009-11-24 17:39:27