Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 16:59:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> wrote:
>> benchmarks I've seen suggest that with 8 cores you may even see an
>> almost 8x restore speedup
>
> I'm curious what sort of data in what environment showed that ratio.

It depends on a lot of things. However, certainly for index creation,
tests on servers over here have indicated that running four "CREATE INDEX"
statements at the time runs four times as fast, assuming the table fits in
maintenance_work_mem.

Matthew

--
 I have an inferiority complex. But it's not a very good one.