Re: dissimilar drives in Raid10 , does it make difference ?

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dissimilar drives in Raid10 , does it make difference ?
Date: 2009-02-13 14:45:54
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> I have received Dell Poweredge 2950 MIII with 2 kind of
> drives. I cant' make out the reason behind it , does it
> make any difference in long run or in performance
> the drives are similar in overall characteristics but does
> the minor differences if will cause any problem ?

As long as the drives are approximately the same capacity and speed, then
no, it will not cause problems.

In fact, it is recommended that two different types of drives are used.
That way, if there's a mass failure of a whole batch of drives from one
particular vendor, you don't lose all your data.

Matthew

 bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."  -- Rich Cook