Re: CREATE DATABASE vs delayed table unlink

From: Matthew Wakeling <mnw21(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE DATABASE vs delayed table unlink
Date: 2008-10-09 10:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
> Yeah, I thought about that too, but it seems extremely dangerous ...

I agree. If a file randomly goes missing, that's not an error to ignore,
even if you think the only way that could happen is safe.

I could be wrong - but couldn't other bad things happen too? If you're
copying the files before the checkpoint has completed, couldn't the new
database end up with some of the recent changes going missing? Or is that
prevented by FlushDatabaseBuffers?

Matthew

--
Isn't "Microsoft Works" something of a contradiction?