Re: Disc space usage

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disc space usage
Date: 2008-10-08 14:00:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
> The interesting question is how it got that way, and in particular how
> you seem to have managed to have repeated instances of it.

Speaking to some of my colleagues, sometimes the createdb process fails
with a very specific error message. If we wait five seconds and try again,
then it succeeds. So, maybe the duff directories are from those failures.

The error message is always something like this:

createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  could not stat file "base/32285287/32687035": No such file or directory

Just before running createdb, we always have some quite heavy write
traffic. Is it possible that the changes that we just wrote haven't been
checkpointed properly yet, resulting in some of those files being missing
from the template database, and therefore the createdb to fail?

Matthew

--
Now, you would have thought these coefficients would be integers, given that
we're working out integer results. Using a fraction would seem really