Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Date: 2008-08-29 11:02:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, david(at)lang(dot)hm wrote:
>> Huh? Each backend has its own socket.
>
> we must be talking about different things. I'm talking about the socket that
> would be used for clients to talk to postgres, this is either a TCP socket or
> a unix socket. in either case only one process can listen on it.

The postmaster opens a socket for listening. Only one process can do that.
When an incoming connection is received, postmaster passes that connection
on to a child backend process. The child then has a socket, but it is a
connected socket, not a listening socket.

Matthew

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.