Re: Is there a way to SubPartition?

From: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a way to SubPartition?
Date: 2008-08-27 14:10:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Jerry Champlin wrote:
> After it's a day old, there are no longer any updates or inserts and we
> can vacuum it at that point.

A pattern that has worked very well for other people is to have two
separate tables (or partitions). One contains today's data, and the other
contains historic data that is no longer updated. Once a day, transfer the
data between the partitions, and the historic data partition will not need
vacuuming.

Some changes to your code will be needed however.

Matthew

--
Vacuums are nothings. We only mention them to let them know we know
they're there.