Re: JDBC4 and JDK 1.6

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Nathan Sullins <nsullins(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Ripley <SRipley(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
Subject: Re: JDBC4 and JDK 1.6
Date: 2010-11-10 00:21:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Nathan Sullins wrote:

> I am in the process of upgrading my company?s  JDK to 1.6 and have a few
> questions about the recommended JDBC driver. The Postgres JDBC site
> suggests using the latest (9.0-801) JDBC4 driver with JDK 1.6. However
> the site also mentions some not so inspiring comments on the latest
> driver including ?Support for JDBC4 methods is limited. The driver
> builds, but the several of the new methods are stubbed out?. This makes
> me wonder how worthy of an upgrade it is, since the driver?s only been
> production ready for less than 2 months and doesn?t fully implement the
> JDBC4 interface.

The driver has had at least partial JDBC4 support since the 8.2 release
nearly four years ago and supporting the new JDBC4 features has been a
gradual process.

> Of the new JDBC4 features I?m most excited about the enhanced exception
> handling and XML support, given this,  can anyone please provide a
>  meaningful reason why I should upgrade the driver? What if any are the
> known bugs associated with the latest JDBC4 driver and what
> functionality in particular is stubbed out?

There's no reason not to upgrade the driver.  The difference between JDBC3
and JDBC4 versions should just be in the new JDBC4 functionality.  So if
you don't use it, it can't hurt you and if you do try to use it, it will
be there.

As to your specific questions SQLXML support has been added, but there is
no support for different types of SQLExceptions.

Kris Jurka