Re: Synchronisation problems in COPY IN

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Kim Bisgaard <kim+pg(at)alleroedderne(dot)adsl(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronisation problems in COPY IN
Date: 2010-09-13 14:17:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Kim Bisgaard wrote:

> We are occasionally experiencing problems with our JDBC implementation of
> We have cut our program down to the attached example.

Do you get the failure you've shown from this example?  I get another
failure from the connection being close before the last copy thread can
complete its write operation.  This seems like an expected failure, but I
can't reproduce yours.

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Database connection failed when
canceling copy operation
         at org.postgresql.copy.CopyManager.copyIn(
         at org.postgresql.copy.CopyManager.copyIn(

> We use PostgreSQL 8.4, and JDBC 8.4-702.

Your stacktrace shows that you are using 8.4-701, not 702.  702 had some
fixes to the copy code when using a Reader, but your code shows you are
using an InputStream, so those changes shouldn't be relevent.

Kris Jurka