Re: no timeout in AbstractJdbc23PoolingDataSource#getPooledConnection

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: harryh <harryh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: no timeout in AbstractJdbc23PoolingDataSource#getPooledConnection
Date: 2010-05-28 18:37:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 18 May 2010, harryh wrote:

> Is there any particular reason that there is no way to set a timeout
> on acquiring a connection from the connection pool?  It seems like
> this would be very useful, and also trivial to add to the driver.
> More than happy to submit a patch, but this is such a glaring omission
> I'm guessing there must be some reason for it.

The connection pool included with the driver is pretty bare bones.  It's
functional, but not a whole lot more.  In general we've steered people who
need more than basic pooling to other projects like DBCP because it
doesn't make sense to replicate all of that functionality in the driver's
pool when DBCP is driver independent.

Kris Jurka