Re: SQLException.getErrorCode ?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: maxime(dot)levesque(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQLException.getErrorCode ?
Date: 2010-05-01 19:44:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 1 May 2010, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> As I said earlier you need to check SQLException.getSQLState, not
>> getErrorCode.
>
> Why anyone would want to use error code instead of SQLSTATE is
> beyond me, but since they're out there, perhaps we should implement
> getErrorCode to interpret SQLSTATE as a base 36 number, and return
> that number? It might take less time than fielding the next
> complaint. ;-)
>
> The biggest down side is that we'd have to document it....

Exactly, who's going to maintain this list of alternate error code
versions? If the main project was to put this version of the error codes
in the master table of error codes, then I guess it would be OK. I can't
imagine proposing that though, unless there are other driver projects that
are in the same position.

Kris Jurka