Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, Tollef Fog Heen <tollef(dot)fog(dot)heen(at)collabora(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-02-11 17:23:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Andrew Chernow wrote:

> Although, I think Dave's comments have made me change my mind about this
> patch. Looks like it serves a good purpose. That said, there is no
> guarentee the driver will implement the new feature ... JDBC seems to
> lack the ability to get the backing Socket object but java can set
> socket options. Maybe a JDBC kong fu master knows how to do this.

Use the tcpKeepAlive connection option as described here:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/84/connect.html#connection-parameters

Java can only enable/disable keep alives, it can't set the desired
timeout.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html#setKeepAlive%28boolean%29

Kris Jurka