Re: RFC: Hosting mailing lists of 3rd party projects

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-02-25 17:34:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> I started a wiki page to document this discussion:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_List_Creation_Policies

New lists should be announced (and requested) through
sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org ... it is not a web related activity, nor
maintained by the Web Team :)

Also, it should be announced to pgsql-announce if you want to get broader
distribution ...

> Hmm, maybe I just didn't know how to do that. I am the admin for lists
> which I don't need to be part of, so I will try that and report back if
> I can't make the change.

Let me know ... I've always done config changes through command line
myself ... I believe you can also do this through email, but I really
don't know how the syntax for *that* works, although, if you find that
that might be useful, I can figure it out and let you know ...

> I asked a while back, but no big deal, Marc. :) We'll sort it all out now.
>
> I asked for the pgus-board list to be deactivated, but didn't
> specifically CC Marc:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2010-04/msg00017.php

Ah, see, that would explain it ... I'm not on pgsql-www, since I don't
have anyting to do with Web related activities ... mail server related
requests should go through sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org, where I am subscribed
... that would explain why I never saw that request :(

> I do think that non-core pgsql lists will require a little more
> frequent management, but as long as more than just one person has the
> ability to make changes or point people to the right places to
> reconfigure things themselves, I think we'll be totally fine.

And make sure you send your requests to the right mailing list :)

mail != www, therefore not relevant to pgsql-www ...

----
Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ:7615664 MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org