Re: RFC: Hosting mailing lists of 3rd party projects

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-02-25 14:26:48
Lists: pgsql-www
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> What I am more worried about is that there seems to be no upstream
> maintenance of mj2. I mean, their website hasn't been touched in more
> than 10 years! And given the *huge* security hole that was found in it
> recently (taht AFAIK was patched manually by Marc?), it's rather
> obvious there is no maintenance. And that worries me a lot.

Actually, apparently that bug was patched earlier then we found it ... the
thing mj2 is lacking is a proper commit mailing list, so I wasn't aware of
hte patch :(

> Do we really know the system well enough to be comfortable maintaining
> *all* of it? Or is there actually some top secret upstream
> maintainenance that just missed a *huge* security hole for 10 years?

Again, that was more a communications issue with the mj2 devs then an
oversight on their part ... as Alvaro can attest, when I posted to the mj2
list about it, the firts rsponse I got out of Jason (core deeveloper) was
"already fixed in CVS" ...

Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org