Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 17:51:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> This thread never got resolved. I think we can all agree that EOL
>> for 7.4 is a "when", not an "if"? Can we get -core to take a stance
>> here and pick a date? I like the clean smooth lines of January 2011,
>> and thus saying that 2010 is the last year in which we'll backpatch
>> things to the 7.4 branch. But I'll stick to whatever core thinks is
>> best. Just let the advocacy team know so we can start work on it.
>
> If we're going to set the date that far off, I'd be inclined to EOL
> 8.0 at the same time.  It'll be six years old by then.  You could
> make a good argument for nuking 8.1 at the same time --- it'll turn
> five in November 2010.
>
> Personally I'll still be on the hook for maintaining 8.1 in RHEL5
> so I'd be just as happy to keep it alive a bit longer, but if the
> community doesn't want to deal with it that makes perfect sense.
> I have no personal commitment to 8.0 at all because Red Hat never
> shipped that in a RHEL release ...

Just curious, but since you do all the back patching as it is, and
building the source tarballs is simple enough ...

What are RedHats "EOL" dates for the various releases?

Doesn't mean that packagers have to make new packages ... I personally
think new packages shouldn't be made for anything older then *maybe* 3
releases (8.2, 8.3 and 8.4), but even that I think tends to be a bit
excessive ... but doing source tar balls is easy enough ...

  ----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy(at)hub(dot)org