Machine available for community use

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-25 15:15:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Recently I've been involved in or overheard discussions about SMP
scalability at both the PA PgSQL get together and in some list
traffic.

myYearbook.com would ike to make one of our previous production
machines available to established PgSQL Hackers who don't have access
to this level of hardware for testing, benchmarking and development to
work at improving SMP scalability and related projects.

The machine is a HP 585 G1, 8 Core AMD, 32GB RAM with one 400GB 14
Spindle DAS Array dedicated to community use. I've attached a text
file with dmesg and /proc/cpuinfo output.

I'm working on how this will be setup and am open to suggestions on
how to structure access.

I'm currently in the process of having Gentoo linux reinstalled on the
box since that is what I am most comfortable administering from a
security perspective. If this will be a blocker for developers who
would actually work on it, please let me know.

If you're interested in access, my only requirement is that you're a
current PgSQL Hacker with a proven track-record of committing patches
to the community. This is a resource we could be using for something
else, and I'd like to see the community get direct benefit from it as
opposed to it being a play sandbox for people who want to tinker.

Please let me know thoughts, concerns or suggestions.

Gavin M. Roy
CTO
myYearbook.com
gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com